top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to pay for your services?

No, all of Care Parent Network’s services are free. We gladly accept donations to help
us provide quality services to all Contra Costa families.

How do I request an IEP assessment?

You can write a letter to the special education department requesting an evaluation for
your child in all areas of suspected disability. You should include in your letter all of your
concerns to get a complete assessment. Drop of a copy at the district’s special
education office (and keep a copy for yourself). The district will respond with either an
assessment plan or notice of why they don’t believe your child needs assessment.

What are IEP timelines?

The district has 15 days to get you an assessment plan after you request it. You should
return the assessment plan within 15 days. Once the district has received the signed
plan, they have 60 days to evaluate and hold an IEP meeting to discuss the results of
the evaluations.

What is Regional Center?

Regional Center provides services for eligible people with a developmental disability
and early intervention (Early Start) for eligible infants and toddlers. Regional Center of
the East Bay serves all of Alameda and Contra Costa counties. To qualify after 3 years
of age, a child needs to be diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Autism, Intellectual
Disability. In some cases a consumer may be eligible if they need services similar to
someone with an Intellectual Disability. The disability must have been present prior to
the consumer’s 18th birthday.

What is California Children’s Services?

CCS is a state program for low income children 0-21 with complex medical needs to get
the services and treatment they need. CCS also provides physical and occupational
therapy to children with certain physical disabilities regardless of income.

What is Early Start?

This is a program for children 0-3 who are at risk of - or who have already been
diagnosed with - a developmental delay. These children are served by the Regional
Center of the East Bay. Children with orthopedic, vision or hearing impairment receive
early start services through their school districts.

What happens when my child in Early Start turns 3?

Before your child turns three, both the Regional Center and the school district will
evaluate your child. The school district will determine whether the child is eligible for

special education. The regional center will determine whether the child remains eligible
for Regional Center services. If the child is eligible for CCS, they may continue to
provide the child with medically necessary physical and occupational therapy.

bottom of page